A CONSERVATIVE CHOICE FOR THE MINORITY'S VOICE

Pulpit Freedom Sunday 2010

Pastors and churches are often confused about their right to speak truth from the pulpit on politicians and political issues. For 56 years, the IRS has wrongly attempted to silence pastors (the IRS code is over 3.4 million words long – almost five times longer than the Bible), and radical secularist groups such as Americans United for Separation of Church and State further attempt to intimidate churches and pastors into inaction.

Yet today, more than ever, a pastor’s voice must be heard, and Biblical truth must be brought to bear on current issues, including those of candidates and elections. Pastors do have the right to speak Biblical truth from the pulpit without fear of censorship or punishment from the government. Alliance Defense Fund (ADF), a premier national legal group that defends the constitutional rights of Christians, has organized a concerted effort to push back against this unconstitutional government intrusion into the pulpit.

In 2008, ADF launched the Pulpit Initiative to protect the right of pastors to speak freely from the pulpit on any and all issues addressed by Scripture. That year, thirty-three pastors from twenty-two states participated in “Pulpit Freedom Sunday,” addressing civil issues, candidates, and the upcoming elections from a Biblical perspective. In 2009, over eighty pastors from 30 states and the District of Columbia participated.

This year, Pulpit Freedom Sunday will take place on September 26, 2010. On that day, pastors from across the country will stand together to address the issue of candidates and elections from their pulpits.

Your church can help make Pulpit Freedom Sunday a great success. Please visit www.speakupmovement.org/church for more information about how you can get involved in Pulpit Freedom Sunday 2010, or call (800) TELL-ADF. ADF will stand with pastors to protect their constitutional rights from censorship or intimidation.

Daniel Webster rightly noted: “God grants liberty only to those who love it and are always ready to guard and defend it,” and the freedom of the American pulpit is a liberty worth defending. We strongly encourage your church to contact ADF and let them know that you will participate in “Pulpit Freedom Sunday.”

God Bless!

David Barton

6 responses

1. AH Karsian

David, should my pastor be discussing candidates and elections from his pulpit, or should he preach on our responsibilities as citizens of the United States to be honest people who respect our Constitution, tell truth, etc? It is our responsibility to know candidates and issues and to vote as we discern. The pastor is responsible to God to lead his congregation in the Word. Certainly there are plenty of scriptures on governing and governors.

That said, I think you are my favorite guest on Glenn’s show. I have learned so much from your discussions, and your tenderness for your artifacts proves their age and value.
    It was an inspiriing trip to Washington and I’ll never forget the people we heard and those we met at the rally, in our hotel, at dinner, on the Metro…it has changed my attitude to be more patient and loving. I know the Lord will help me to keep a gentle way even in New Jersey where people are not accustomed to strangers talking to them. When I went to college in West Texas, people were much more friendly than in Dallas where I grew up. Thank you for your time. Tina Karsian

August 31, 2010 at 12:09 am

2. Barbara McLendon

You people give Christianity a bad name. Thank God I was raised in a Christian home and understand a God of Love and a Jesus who offers grace and mercy not condemnation. Had I not been, I am certain that Christians like you would have made me run as far away from Christianity as I could get. I would hate to be in your shoes when you stand before God and find out about all the lost souls you turned off because you were so concerned with politics instead of the gospel.

August 31, 2010 at 12:23 am

3. Rev. Tommy Davis, DDCS

Barbara, in case you didn’t know, it was God who was the first Politician. That’s why He issued 10 policies and wrote them in stone.

September 3, 2010 at 9:43 pm

4. Gailmarie

The forefathers left England to obtain a liberty to worship God according to the dictates of their conscience.
    Churches need to fearlessly speak the Truth. You will not lose your tax exemption!!! Such claims are false and are scare tactics designed to silence Christian viewpoints. As Thomas Paine said “These are the Times that will try men’s souls”
    In my quest to do whatever I can to learn and share with fellow Americans what we need to know in these crazy days ahead. I went to a Liberty Counsel event at First Baptist in Orlando on July 8th. I was curious as to how and why we do not hear a lot about getting out and voting in our churches today. What is up with all the confusion on separation of church and state? Why can’t we talk politics and religion in church? Is this not a large part of what and how our country was founded? So many questions. After leaving the Marie Williams Chapel on the First Baptist Campus I was, yes in tears. Those of you who know me will not be too surprised at that. Less than half of Church going Christians vote. How sad is that? If only one percent would register and vote we would win the war being waged on this Country right now.
    We have lost our way, in the attempt to be politically correct, to preach a feel good sermon. We have lost sight of what our God Given obligation is, part of that obligation is to Vote.. Vote on morals and values, if we want to continue in a strong America we must keep God in our Country, It is a Prophetic witness to our community, it is our biblical obligation. Some people and organizations want our Pastors and Christian leaders to remain silent while our United States burns. “A foe to God is not a friend to man. No man that is unfriendly to religion in profession or practice ought to be in trusted with any important concerns in government.” Pastor Jonathan French 1796 sermon in Andover. We need a new Awakening of American Preachers and Teachers in our churches to STAND. Why are we letting them tell us how to preach our sermons? While we still have a few days left with Freedom to speak in America lets learn our rights and exercise them. Will the Real Christian Leaders please stand up!! If not YOU? WHO? It has to be NOW… PLEASE… You talk of Revival… Let’s do this… Now… today God is calling you, be still and hear his voice. Americans approach your pastors and church leaders. Copy the list hand it to them. It is Time for leaders to lead.
    Pastors, Churches, and political activists call Liberty Counsel today, they have a DVD and a one page document entitled: Political and Legislative guidelines for Pastors and Churches. Supporting or Opposing Candidates and Supporting or Opposing Legislation. Visit them online at http://www.LC.org or call 1.800. 671. 1776 Time is running out we must get people registered to vote. It is a moral and Biblical obligation. Time for American leaders to lead! As Samuel Adams said “declaring independence in some ways was the easy part; winning and keeping it would be more difficult. He wrote,” May God give us wisdom, fortitude, and perseverance, and every other virtue necessary for us to maintain that independence which we have asserted!”
    To everything there is a season a time to every purpose under the heaven: a time to be born and a time to die; a time to kill and a time to heal…Ecclesiastes 3 IT IS TIME ! Much Love

September 17, 2010 at 4:20 am

5. Waymon Meadows

Pulpit Freedom Sunday 2010
    I can understand those who are for and against utilizing the Preacher to speak from the pulpit calling it “Pulpit Freedom Sunday; however, he must avoid recommending specific people or party to vote for. If he utilizes the time to speak on moral issues and encourages people to vote their conscience then he can turn hearts of those who are uncomfortable in supporting freedomSunday.
    Here is something I shared in a testimony meeting at my church. I ask my Bishop if what I read was inappropriate. He said no, but we should be cautious in our remarks. I agree. Here is what I read:

Amazing Grace
    Some say the memory fades in time, but for a moment in this life I felt Gods presence and His love for all of His children. The night has come, the day has past, but I can hear and feel the song at the meeting in Washing on August 28, 2010.
    It seemed as if the voices of the choir from heaven joined in the song as we listen spellbound by the Spirit of God and the words of Amazing Grace. Tears flowed freely from the joy that swelled up inside of me.
    I stood a little taller, yet humble. I prayed in silence for this moment never to leave me. I pleaded for America with all my soul. I loved my black brothers as I did my own children.
    I knew I was standing on hallowed ground. I felt the Spirit of our Founding Fathers hovering over the hundreds of thousands of their brothers and sister. I felt the Patriots who had willing given their lives for liberty rejoicing with us. I loved George Washington and Abraham Lincoln more than ever. I loved our fallen soldiers who sacrifice their lives for my freedom. I vowed that their lives would not be given in vain.
    I wished that my wife; my ten children; my 23 grandchildren; and my friends were there. My grandson Payne stood by my side. I loved him more. I prayed that he felt the same spirit stronger than I felt it. I prayed to God that he would forgive me for not being a better person and promised Him that I would be better. I would give more. I would help more.
    Tears fill my eyes as I write this testimony to you and with all my love I plead for you and your loved ones to have peace and success in this life and throughout eternity.
    God bless America…

Waymon

September 18, 2010 at 12:23 pm

6. great blog! Thanks for speaking on this topic!

September 28, 2010 at 11:36 pm