Things I don’t understand and probably never will!
by Evette Harris
If you’re like me, you’ve grown over the years. We still have areas where we need to grow, but, for the most part, we have pretty good common sense.
But, if you’re like me, you are still dumbfounded by some things that would seem to have common sense solutions, but, so far, those solutions escape our realm.
Let me list a few:
1. How is it that most responsible adults have to balance their checkbooks, at least monthly, but, the people we elect don’t even have to create a budget? (Actually, they are supposed to but they just haven’t in quite some time);
2. If you or I did not, could not, would not, do the job we were hired for at 200K+ per annum, plus benefits, we would be fired or at the very least, placed on probation for a time, during which we would be expected to greatly improve; but, the people we elect and send to office at the local, state, and national levels are overwhelmingly re-elected time and time again;
3. As citizens, we are expected to obey the laws, from driving responsibly to paying our taxes to not committing murder. But, the people we elect and send to office regularly make laws from which they exempt themselves and/or are not prosecuted for breaking the laws-even the laws they make. ( I know, this one is really confusing to me, too)
4. And this is a big one for me-Why does a nation of people consisting mostly of those who claim Christianity as their religious practice of choice, believe that voting for and/or advocating for more laws is what is needed to ‘fundamentally transform,’ people?
I know-I am as befuddled as you are, especially about number four. These people almost salivate at the thought of having more laws on the books for all kinds of behavior, and then, numbers one, two, and three kick in and the cycle continues.
Now, some of you will make comments about our country not being a ‘Christian,’ or religious country. Some of you will say that, “There is a separation of church and state.” To each of these comments I will say to you, “You are wrong.”
Our country was founded to be a Christian nation-at the very least, a God-centered nation, with a secular form of government, derived from the, “Consent of the governed,” who were to be ultimately accountable to their Creator.
Neither am I advocating anarchy. “Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes.” Governments were ultimately established by God for us to use as a tool with which we order our societies.
But, our government only has its power because its power is authorized by the people. Our elected officials are not above the law and they are not above the people. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.”
So, having said all this, my final questions are these:
5. How great is your God?
6. How big is your government?
7. If God has said in His word that, ‘man’s heart is deceitful,’ and that, ‘no man can keep the whole law,’ why do you want to keep electing man (people) who make more laws to govern the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness that was given to us by God? Why do you believe more laws will work or change human behavior?
God Bless America…Land That I Love!
Declaration of Independence- http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html
The Holy Bible-Jeremiah 17:9 (KJV)- “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?” (http://bible.cc/jeremiah/17-9.htm)
The Holy Bible-Galatians 3:11 (NIV)- “Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.” (http://bible.cc/galatians/3-11.htm)